More people are starting to move away from proprietary cloud storage services like Google and Apple, to open source cloud storage applications. They offer more flexibility and the ability to personalize the user experience. They are also more reliable thanks to self-hosting and they pay a greater attention to privacy concerns.
In our search for the best open source cloud storage solutions, we reviewed a high number of apps and chose the five best. The following ranking will be based on how many platforms the application is available on, its personalization options and the language they’re written in as well as the main features of each open source cloud storage software.
Its features allow you to maintain your own data using pre-installed web apps. You can build and share your own apps. Users can store all your contacts, files, calendar, emails and can even import data from your Google account. Cozy uses Whoosh for indexing and CouchDB for database storage.
- Cloud management: your data is safe and always at your disposal.
- Faster access: you can manage your cloud from your local network.
- Extended storage: you can always plug in a new personal hard drive.
- No subscription fees: no extra costs thanks if you’re willing to invest in self-hosting.
Number four on our list is Ceph, another excellent open source cloud storage platform that stores data on a distributed server cluster written in C++ and Perl. This feature makes it highly scalable, secure and freely available. Ceph is also available on all major platforms.
It provides an interface for object, block and file level storage through a RADOS gateway. As a result, it can support APIs from both Amazon S3 and OpenStack Swift.
- Object storage: partial or complete reading and writing, object level key-value mappings, unlimited storage to file systems.
- VM compatibility: it can run as a client-based virtual machine.
- Highly scalable: can scale up to exabytes without a single point of failure.
At its core, Pydio is similar to an app that runs on a web server so you can access it through any browser. Additionally, it has an integrated WebDAV interface, which makes it ideal for online file management over encrypted channels. This feature assures that your data is secure anytime, anywhere.
- PydioSync: an intuitive, highly customizable cross-platform sync tool.
- User interface: rich web application with customizable UI.
- REST API: manage all files operations with Pydio APIs.
- Plugin architecture: use existing plugins or create your own.
Owncloud has a free service plan, with slightly limited features and two payed subscriptions plans. The Standard plan starts at $3,600 for 50 users while Enterprise costs $9, 000 for also 50 users.
- Multiplatform storage: store your picture, documents, calendar and contacts on your own home server, public ownCloud providers or on a rented VPS.
- Document editor: work with others in real time in the same document.
- Versioning and undelete: previous versions of file are retained and deleted ones can be restored.
- Activity feed: receive live notifications about your data and the activity on our server.
Seafile is our number one solution for any open source cloud storage problems. The service promotes itself as a file syncing and online collaboration tool, with a focus on data security. If you decide to use this service, you can either utilize their cloud service, SeaCloud.cc or set up your own hosted servers. It’s available on all major platforms. The core of the Seafile server is written in C and Python. As a result, the server is small and still has a fantastic performance. Another great feature is that it’s very easy to upgrade the platform, by just running a simple script within a few seconds.
Seafile comes in two editions: Community, which is free and open source; and Business which is free for three users and then charges per additional users. Feel free to learn more about the company’s pricing options.
- File editor: a versatile online editor for different types of files with full text file search.
- File Sync: cross-platform file sync with differential sync to minimize bandwidth usage
- Built-in file encryption: encrypt your personal libraries with a password before syncing to the server.
- Team collaboration: permission control, activity notification and versioning make sharing and collaboration easy and efficient.
All of our suggested open source cloud storage services can fulfill a user’s basic requirements while offering a huge variety of different features and apps. Users rely on open source cloud storage systems for a variety of functions and certain applications are more specialized in a function than others. However, the difference between a good cloud storage service and an excellent one lies in how well it fulfills its main function: file storage, sync and transfer. In this regard, Seafile is unrivaled among open source services.
Let us know what particular service is the best one for you.